Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Monday, January 25, 2016


Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: August 4th, 2014
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Trade
Pages: 322

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

So, this was my first ever Colleen Hoover book. I have got to say that I LOVED it. I don't think that I was really expecting to like it as much as I did. But I was very pleased with this book and will probably be picking up one or more of her other books very soon. I don't even care if $16 is ridiculous for a paperback. I want it now!

This story is about the mutual attraction between Tate Collins and Miles Archer. They are attracted to each other, but something in Miles' past has reeked havoc on him and he refuses to let Tate know about his past or hope for a future with him. So they agree that they're relationship will be sex and sex only. 

So first of all, this book was so hot! This is definitely not a book for young readers with all the sex scenes. The only other book that I have ever read that I can compare this to even a little bit is Fifty Shades of Grey. And I have to say that when I finally figured out what that book was about, THIS is what I was hoping for.

So if I'm comparing right now, I have to say that this was infinitely better written. I found the steamy scenes to be more fleshed out and satisfying. There was an actual STORY in this book! The characters were considerably more likable, too!

I liked the characters in this book. Tate was a nice girl. She has just moved in with her brother in San Francisco from San Diego. Very shortly after she arrives, she meets Miles. The neighbor across the hall who works as a pilot along with her brother. They are immediately attracted to each other, but Tate can't figure out why he will barely give her the time of day. Something in Miles' past is still haunting him, six years after the fact. He refuses to let himself love anyone, so he and Tate decide to continue with a relationship that is solely sex. No asking about his past and no expectations of a future. 

Tate is a hardworker. She is a registered nurse, going back to school to get her master's degree. She found herself a job working weekends while she goes to school. She has a hard time with her relationship agreement, she finds herself falling hard for Miles. She takes a lot of crap from him as he kind of works through his problems. She knows that she deserves better, but she can't bring herself to give up on Miles. I think she wants to fix him.

Miles is basically just broken. His past is haunting him pretty badly, which is the reason for the agreement they have. His reasons for not letting himself be happy with Tate are so heartbreaking. But that doesn't excuse the fact that by continuing this no strings attached sex, he is being selfish. It's supposed to be uncomplicated, but he knows that it isn't that way for Tate. He knows that she is developing real feelings for him, but he can't bring himself to stop this and that isn't right on his part.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! Colleen Hoover can definitely write some steaminess! If you are a fan of books similiar to Fifty Shades of Grey, you may enjoy this book!!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to give this one a read! I have yet to read a new adult book, and I think Colleen Hoover would be the perfect place to start. Thanks for the review! :)
    Krystianna Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that she is definitely a good place to start! Of all the NA books I have read, this one is by far my favorite. Most of the ones I've read are pretty mediocre, but this one is VERY good! I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan