DNF Review: A Mirror Among Shattered Glass by Romarin Demetri

Monday, June 27, 2016


The Supernatural London Underground #1
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: June 4th, 2016
Rating: DNF
Source: ARC from the Author
Pages: 250

Summary (from Goodreads):

Unable to contain the deadly nature of her family secret and powers, nine-teen year old Romarin Demetri hails from California, U.S.A, to unearth her heritage as a descendant of serial-killer, Countess Bathory, the woman that lent Dracula his legend, and cursed Romarin with an appetite for blood. 

Unenthusiastic about relocating to her birth city of London, a charming paranormal investigator with claim to the throne could change her mind, as he leads her to the only living and distant relative she has: a raven-haired recluse named Talia, who has taken refuge in an old castle in the heart of the city, and doesn’t seem to have a heart of her own. 

After a rough introduction to the lethal, inappropriate, and enchantingly sarcastic people she calls her housemates, perhaps the other misfits will be her first true friends; However, as much as these people are like her, they still have hidden vendettas, a taste for revenge, and will struggle between what is just, and what will settle their psychological upheaval. There is only one way for Romarin to become part of the Supernatural London Underground: Can she be the one who challenges them to put down their ghosts and demons and make their world together?

This book has an interesting premise, but I feel like the synopsis of this book is a bit misleading. This book started off alright. I was semi-into it. The first chapter was interesting, the next couple introducing the main character were alright, but then the character from the first chapter and the main character cross paths and things just went down the drain for me.

There really isn't any transition between events and it made reading this book incredibly confusing for me. There really wasn't any kind of background to this book to give some kind of context to what was going on.

Romarin is a vampire like creature, but I don't think she's actually a vampire? But she does need blood to survive. She was adopted from London and lives in America with her adoptive family. I don't know how they figured out that she needed blood or why they didn't think that was weird? Like, I'm not even sure if these different supernatural creatures are common knowledge to the general population.

I feel like everything that I read in this book was just incredibly convenient. For example, in the beginning, the main character finds herself in an English asylum and can't remember anything about herself or where she's from or how she got there, but there is conveniently someone else in this asylum that can read minds and digs around to find out who she is.

I didn't understand a lot of the reasoning that the main character had for why some things happened in this book either and I just wasn't invested in this story. I read like 150 pages and then half skimmed the rest of it and then just gave up. I tried to like this book, but it just wasn't for me.

Overall, I could not get into this book or get myself to care about what was happening. I would not personally recommend this book, but if you're into paranormal books, supernatural stuff, English princes who are ghost hunters, you might like this book.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like the book! I've never heard of it before now, so I definitely won't be picking it up. Great review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until the author approached me to review it. I wanted to love it because it sounds so interesting, but it just wasn't for me. :(

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan