Top Ten Tuesday (#52)

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish!

This week's topic is Ten Things That Books Have Made Me Want To Do Or Learn About After Reading Them!

I spent a lot of time on this post and only got to 5, but they are five things that I put a lot of thought into!

Here we go!


1. I just recently read Ape House by Sara Gruen. If you haven't read my review, a fact about me is that I have never liked apes/monkeys of any kind. Don't know why. I just don't like them. But I loved this book and I loved the apes in it. It made me yearn to check out someplace similar to the Great Ape Language Lab that is featured in this book.


Turns out that the place where Gruen did her research for this book is located in Iowa, which is just below South Dakota so yay! I think it's called the Ape Cognition and Conservation Initiative. I say I think because in my research on the place, it seems that it has changed names and such a lot in the last few years.

The Ape Cognition and Conservation Initiative (ACCI) is dedicated to the conservation and protection of Great Apes worldwide, as well as responsible and sustainable research aimed at uncovering the evolutionary origins of human language, cognition, and behavior. We aim to use the knowledge we gain from studies with great apes to better humanity by increasing public knowledge of our species’ origins and our connection with the natural world. With a focus on Science, Conservation, and Civic Engagement, ACCI is uniquely positioned to emerge as a leader in a new era in great ape cognition and conservation research.

I'm not sure if they still have tours, one of the old websites for the facility said you can register for a tour, but I would love to do that! It even says that you can get a presentation from some of the apes at their own discretion.

I just think that being able to communicate with the apes would be so cool! This book also made me want to brush up on my sign language. I don't know a lot, but I took a class for it in college!


2. Another of Sara Gruen's books, Water for Elephants, made me really want to join a circus! Especially to work with the elephants!

This is my own picture from the Shrine Circus a few years ago.

I know that circuses and elephants aren't really a good mix, but how amazing would it be to work with elephants?!

Reading this book also made me look up volunteer abroad trips to places where it would be possible to work with elephants. I think the one that I found offered was in Thailand! I would love to go work with elephants in Thailand! Also one time I saw a video of an elephant painting a tree and it renewed my zeal for wanting to work with them!


3. Okay, for real, who didn't want to explore Paris after reading Anna and the French Kiss? I have always wanted to visit Paris, but this book made me want it even more! Also, another thing that made me desire a trip to Paris quite badly was watching this PBS show where this guy goes to different countries and eats his way through them. On the episode I saw, he was eating his way through Paris in pastries and desserts.

Click photo for source

I want to eat my way across Paris!! D: I also would LOVE to see the Eiffel Tower. That would be so amazing!



4. Reading the book Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys made me want to learn everything that I could about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff. It's the worst maritime tragedy in history and I had never heard of it before picking up this book! Around 9,000 people died! You can learn more about this by checking out my first A Glimpse Back in Time post, which you can find here.



When I was looking up stuff about this event, I was seeing stuff about diving to check out the wreckage of this ship, which would be SO rad, but also sad. You can't dive to this shipwreck, but looking it up made me want to also dive at other shipwreck sites. I just can't even get over how cool it would be to see something like that.


5. This is my favorite book ever so I have to try to include it somehow. This book made me wanna go on a road trip so bad! And like not a family road trip either. One with friends!


I think I'm going to do just that next year too. My aunt and my grandma planned a trip to Indiana to see my mom without my sister and I! I mean, we did get invited, but they're also going through another state to see other family that I don't really know so I'm going to pass on that.

But it's like a 1600 mile round trip with just me and my sister and no responsible adult so it's a darn good thing I have a GPS. Because honestly, I got myself so so so lost one time (like half an hour away from where I grew up) that my friend that was with me had to call her mom so she could find us on google maps and give us directions to get home. We were almost on the state line and into Minnesota!

So these are just a few things that books have made me want to do after reading them! What are some books that have made you want to do something cool?

2 comments:

  1. I could totally see how The Darkest Minds would make you crave a friends road trip. Especially if you take a route that has a lot of cool stuff to stop and see on the way and take pictures. Great list!

    Liselle @ Lunch-Time Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was such a fun list to put together! I wish I could have thought of more things, but this post would have taken me AGES if I had thought of more since I would have spent a lot of time googling the things!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan