Book Nerd Bites (#4) - The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Sunday, October 30, 2016


Book Nerd Bites is an original monthly feature created by Becca, Cyra, Kristie, Natasha, and Valerie as part of the Book Blogger Creativity Project hosted by Nori. Each month we will be sharing exciting recipes inspired by some of our favorite books. Feel free to join in, but please make sure you link your post back to us so we can enjoy your favorite bookish delights as well!

Don't forgot to use if you want to share your food inspiration with us on twitter or instagram!

For today's edition of Book Nerd Bites I will be featuring...


The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Since I kind of have a Darkest Minds thing going on this month, I figured I had to try and include it for this feature as well! I recently did a reread of the whole series and in the first book, there is a scene around the campfire at East River where they are having chili for supper.

So for my post for the month, I'm going to share a recipe for chili that I just recently made! It was my first time making chili and I kind of just went through a bunch of recipes on pinterest and did a pick-and-choose thing to figure out what ingredients I wanted in my chili.

Ingredients:


-2 lbs of ground hamburger
-1 medium/large onion
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 (15) oz can of tomato sauce
-1 tsp garlic salt
-2 Tbsp chili powder
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
-1 can Rotel
-2 (15) oz cans beans
(I used 1 dark red kidney bean and 1 light red kidney beans)
1-2 c. water or beef broth

Tips:

Don't drain the beans or the Rotel.
Regular pepper is probably optional, just because I forgot to add it when I made this.
I added like 1.5 cups of water and I feel like that was too much.

Instructions:


Brown the meat and crumble. Drain it if it's too greasy.


Cook onions and garlic until it's done. I don't know what point it's done at because I apparently didn't think that was important in my notes I wrote down.


Pour all of the ingredients into the crockpot.


Mix thoroughly.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

The longer the better.

Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crackers, whatever you like.

I like an incredibly disgusting amount of cheddar cheese and crushed Fritos on my chili.

What do you like in your chili? Have I convinced you to read this book yet with all my posts this month? If I haven't, I might have to try harder in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan