DNF Review: The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones

Monday, August 7, 2017


The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: August 8th, 2017
Rating: DNF @ 32%
Source: NOVL's Beach Reads Box
Format: Physical ARC
Pages: 400

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Dee Moreno makes a deal with a demon—her heart in exchange for an escape from a disastrous home life—she finds the trade may have been more than she bargained for. And becoming “heartless” is only the beginning. What lies ahead is a nightmare far bigger, far more monstrous than anything she could have ever imagined.

With reality turned on its head, Dee has only a group of other deal-making teens to keep her grounded, including the charming but secretive James Lancer. And as something grows between them amid an otherworldy ordeal, Dee begins to wonder: Can she give someone her heart when it’s no longer hers to give?

The Hearts We Sold is about a girl named Dee who trades her heart away to a demon for 2 years in exchange for the money she needs to keep going to her boarding school and avoid going back home to her parents. I got the idea that her dad was probably pretty abusive and her mom just drinks to cope with it. So when her scholarship gets cut off, she gets desperate and makes a deal with a demon.

Let me just start by saying that I don't really think that this was a bad book. There wasn't anything seriously wrong with it for me to DNF it. I just thought it was really boring.

I read about 130 pages, I think. It's not like things weren't happening, a girl traded away her heart to a demon and is now a member of a group of 3 other heartless teens who blow up voids full of something that threatens a demon. I mean, things are kind of happening. But I was just bored.

I think my problem with this book might have been that I don't necessarily like the writing? It just FEELS boring to me. I don't know, I just know that I really don't care enough what happens in this book to go on reading it.

This was kind of a pointless little DNF review, but I just wanted to give a little insight as to my reasons for DNFing and also have something to post while I'm gone this week!!

Have you read The Hearts We Sold? What did you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. I had high hopes for this one but the demons fighting holes in space-time turned out to be the last straw. I kind of just wanted . . . regular demons if that makes sense. I also found the close third person writing a bit distancing--I feel like I'd like a book by the author written in first person a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might have been my problem with the writing too. It just read so boring to me. I wanted to like it because it sounds good, but alas, we just can't love them all.

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan