Review // Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo

Monday, January 15, 2018


Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
DC Icons #1
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Publication Date: August 28th, 2017
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: Purchase
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 376

Summary (from Goodreads):

Daughter of immortals.

Princess Diana longs to prove herself to her legendary warrior sisters. But when the opportunity finally comes, she throws away her chance at glory and breaks Amazon law—risking exile—to save a mortal. Diana will soon learn that she has rescued no ordinary girl, and that with this single brave act, she may have doomed the world.

Daughter of death.

Alia Keralis just wanted to escape her overprotective brother with a semester at sea. She doesn’t know she is being hunted by people who think her very existence could spark a world war. When a bomb detonates aboard her ship, Alia is rescued by a mysterious girl of extraordinary strength and forced to confront a horrible truth: Alia is a Warbringer—a direct descendant of the infamous Helen of Troy, fated to bring about an age of bloodshed and misery.

Together.

Two girls will face an army of enemies—mortal and divine—determined to either destroy or possess the Warbringer. Tested beyond the bounds of their abilities, Diana and Alia must find a way to unleash hidden strengths and forge an unlikely alliance. Because if they have any hope of saving both their worlds, they will have to stand side by side against the tide of war.

So Wonder Woman: Warbringer was a book that I only bought because:

1. I like the author and I want all of her books.
2. I went to a tour stop and wanted to bring all the books.

Like, since I bought it, I figured I would read it eventually. But I have never been super into DC or Marvel or superheroes in general so it definitely wasn't a priority. But I needed a book for the superhero prompt for #ReadersCrossing and I bumped it way to the top of my TBR.

And I am actually glad that I did. I quite liked this book.

Also, I just recently bought and watched the movie Wonder Woman and I was pretty impressed with it. I figured I would be because Wonder WOMAN, but like I said, never been a fan of superheroes.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer starts off on the island of Themyscira with Diana saving a mortal from the World of Man and bringing her to safety. It is against the rules and there are fairly prompt consequences. It turns out that the girl that Diana saved is a Warbringer, if she is allowed to live past seventeen, war will surely come. The oracle's suggestion is to let her die, but Diana can't do it, so she sets off on a journey to cleanse her of this curse.

So, this is one of those books that takes place partially in a fantasy-esque setting and partially in a modern day setting. I don't generally like things like that. Fantasy settings are infinitely more interesting to me than anything modern day. This was no exception. I really liked the parts on Themyscira or in Greece (not that Greece is a fantasy location) better than in NYC.

I love love love Diana. She was brought up on an island full of immortal women, only reading about modern day things and people. I loved when Diana interacted with literally anyone outside of Themyscira. She is so bold and sassy and hilarious.

I don't know exactly how I felt about Alia. I didn't dislike her, but I didn't like.. love her. I don't know, maybe it was just because I liked Diana so much and no one in this book was as cool as her. I was totally rooting for Alia and was invested in her journey and all that, but I don't know, I didn't actively like her that much.

I feel like none of the characters are super duper memorable when compared to Diana. I don't know, I just really really loved Diana. I thought Jason was mostly boring. I liked Theo. And if I was going to pick a next favorite character, it would definitely be Nim.

I think all of the mortal characters were just so meh for me because the fantastical elements of this book were so much more interesting and the immortal women were so much more interesting and memorable to me and I feel like I wanted more of that. But I definitely gravitate more towards fantasy elements than real life ones.

This book isn't heavily focused on romance. The main focus of this story is ridding the world of the Warbringer curse, but there is a little bit of romance here and there. I liked Alia's romance a lot more so than Diana's.

The plot twist at the end where you find out who the villain actually is really surprised me. I wasn't expecting that to come about and I really thought someone else was going to be the shady one.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. If you are a fan of DC, Wonder Woman, or super heroes in general, you may enjoy this book as well. If you're looking for a book low on romance and high on action, you should read this one.

Have you read this book yet? What are your thoughts on it? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan