Review // The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco

Monday, March 5, 2018


The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco
The Bone Witch #2
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: March 20th, 2018
Rating: 4 Stars
Source: #booksfortrade
Format: ARC
Pages: 400

Summary (from Goodreads):

In The Bone Witch, Tea mastered resurrection―now she's after revenge...

No one knows death like Tea. A bone witch who can resurrect the dead, she has the power to take life...and return it. And she is done with her self-imposed exile. Her heart is set on vengeance, and she now possesses all she needs to command the mighty daeva. With the help of these terrifying beasts, she can finally enact revenge against the royals who wronged her―and took the life of her one true love.

But there are those who plot against her, those who would use Tea's dark power for their own nefarious ends. Because you can't kill someone who can never die...

War is brewing among the kingdoms, and when dark magic is at play, no one is safe.

Bear with me as I struggle through this review. I am not entirely positive that I have good enough words to describe how I felt about this book.

The Heart Forger is told in the same way as The Bone Witch was. There is the present day point of view of the bard who is following Tea around while she takes care of business. And then the flashback portions where Tea is telling her story to the bard.

I was so enthralled by this book. I think that this one might be better than the first one. If only because it felt to me like it had more action. The story takes place over a shorter amount of time and focuses less on lessons and parties and learning the basics of being an asha.

Tea has now taken over Lady Mykaela's job of putting down daeva because she has grown far too weak to do it herself. She can't even leave Odalia because the nearness to her still missing heartsglass is what is keeping her going at all.

The plot of this book surrounds the Faceless going after the the direct descendants of the Five Great Heroes with their sleeping sickness. Prince Kance is the last to fall to the sleeping sickness and the old heart forger has figured out a cure, but has also mysteriously gone off the radar after going to Daanoris.

So the part of this book that is Tea's story basically is their journey to Daanoris to find the heart forger and save Prince Kance. And the present part of this story, if you recall from the end of the last book what she was off to do, was to overthrow Daanoris.

So what did I love about this book? First of all, the characters. This book definitely contains squad goals. Tea, Kalen, Fox, Zoya, Shadi, Inessa, Likh, and Khalad all go to Daanoris to find the old heart forger. I really liked this whole little group! I liked how they worked together and trusted each other. They were all just so fun to read about! I love them.

I loved the romance in this book as well. I love Tea and Kalen together. This book kinda tells you where in the first book they started falling for each other and now I want to go read The Bone Witch AGAIN just so I can see if I can tell. This is a book where pretty much everyone ends up kind of paired up, but I liked all the pairings! There is an m/m pairing and also an f/f one.

I need the conclusion to this series SO BADLY (I'm assuming it's a trilogy??) to find out what Tea did to find herself in the situation she is in. Because whatever it is, I'm positive that she is being framed or something because I feel like she hasn't done anything bad so far that wasn't called for or justified or somehow excusable.

Ooh! I loved the azi too! I thought the connection that Tea had with it was so cool. I thought the other daeva were cool too in the bard's point of view, but the azi was definitely the coolest.

This book is faster than the first one, it has more action, it has squad goals, it's got a little bit of heartbreak thrown in at the end, and this book ends in much the same way as the first one. Basically, Tea is leading her daeva on to another kingdom that she's got beef with and we still don't know what happened to Kalen.

I would definitely recommend this series if you're looking for books with necromancy, politics, magic, and did I mention SQUAD GOALS?!

Have you read The Bone Witch? Are you looking forward to this sequel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan